He's also directed The Untouchables and Redacted -- among others.
But he got his start with some of the really scary movies.
If you're looking for something to watch on Halloween, I'd suggest a Brian De Palma film and I'm going to rank the top 5 scary ones from least to most.
5) Blow Out. This is a thriller and Nancy Allen and John Travolta have the best chemistry. But I don't know that I'd rank it is a Halloween scary. The last 30 minutes, though, are scary, heart breaking and a great deal more.
4) Raising Cain and The Fury. I love both of these. (I love all my top 5. I could watch Blow Out over and over.) In Raising Cain, John Lithgow's crazy beyond belief and, on top of that, you get Steven Bauer looking so very hot. They should have worked together more -- De Palma and Bauer (they also did Scarface together). The Fury is Kirk Douglas trying to get his son back from the government and this is a tight film that gets tighter and tighter and even the ending provides no let up.
3) Carrie. The classic. Sissy Spacek leads the great cast which also includes Amy Irving, John Travolta, Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley and so much more. Scary Carrie, scary Carrie. I feel sorry for Carrie in the movie and, honestly, would be okay if she'd kill everyone in the movie if Norma had bought it in a slow-mo close up. I hate Norma.
She strikes me as a closeted lesbian who is attacking everyone else to draw attention away from herself. So she's mean and pouncing on everyone's flaw. She's not a leader like Sue or Chris but she knows how to goad them. She's like the puppet master.
2) Dressed To Kill. Another Nancy Allen classic. She also did the Robocop films. Why doesn't she do a lot of movies today? Brian De Palma needs to make some more films with her. (They were married for a brief period.) In this one, she's Liz, a call girl. Angie Dickinson has an afternoon pick up, goes into the bathroom, sees the man's medicine for VD and, in horror, rushes out. In the building's elevator she's attacked with a knife. Nancy Allen's finished with a client and is waiting on the elevator. The doors open and a barely breathing Angie reaches towards her. Nancy steps closer to the elevator to help but then catches the reflection of the killer and backs off. The killer now comes after Nancy and after Angie's son who team up to solves his mom's murder.
1) Sisters. Margot Kidder is having strange feelings. Especially after sex. Jennifer Salt is a neighbor and reporter. She catches on that Margot's Simone is a killer. You won't believe what happenes next.
"Iraq snapshot" (The Common Ills):